City of Tonawanda
Department of Public Works
Superintendent Joseph L. Warthling, Jr.
150 Fillmore Ave., Tonawanda, NY 14150
Phone: (716) 695-1376 Fax: (716) 692-6747
Email: Public Works
The Department of Public Works will provide a safe, clean, and efficient operation that maintains streets, sidewalks, and sewers within the city’s right-of-way. We provide a refuse and recycling operation, react to resident’s inquiries, and respond to all weather-related conditions.
STREET LIGHT REPAIRS - CONTACT THE MAYOR'S OFFICE AT (716) 695-8645 TO SUBMIT A REPAIR REQUEST.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PROVIDE THE POLE # AND LOCATION FOR A WORK ORDER TO BE GENERATED.
Tonawanda, New York - Code of Ordinances / Chapter 50 - SOLID WASTE
WEEKLY GARBAGE COLLECTION
GARBAGE - Click here for Weekly Garbage Collection Rules
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE - Garbage will not be collected on any of the following holidays:
New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day,
Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
Garbage pickup will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week following the holiday.
BULK GARBAGE - Bulk waste material pick-up is limited to quantities of four (4) cubic yards (3'x3'x12') per property, with a maximum of two pick-ups per month. Bulk waste shall be collected on your garbage day. Do not put out more than 24 hours in advance.
LATEX PAINT - How to dispose of latex paint
RECYCLING – Recycling Tote pickup calendar (2021)
Your recycling tote will be picked up every other week in accordance with the "Blue" or "Red" designated color for your neighborhood. Please click above to see the calendar for your pick up weeks. If you do not know if you are Blue or Red, click here for the color coded street flyer.
HELPFUL TIPS **click here for Recycling Guidelines**
- Plastic bags & film, Dishes, Garden hoses, Plastic doll houses, Inflatable pools, Hard plastic pools, Pool Liners/Tarps/Covers, Diapers, Hardcover books, etc. are all non-recyclable materials
- Styrofoam is not recyclable
- Only recycle CLEAN non plastic-coated containers [see above "Recycling Guidelines" for a flyer printout and/or visual examples]
RECYCLE AND GARBAGE TOTES
Totes can be ordered at Tonawanda City Hall (8:30am-4:30pm M-F). The cost is $50.00 per tote. Your tote will be delivered to your home [same day or following day]
PLEASE RECYCLETIRES - Residents Only
- Tires are not collected at curbside
- Drop off at DPW – 150 Fillmore Ave. Monday - Friday between 7am-3pm
- Passenger Car 13", 14", 15", 16" $1.00 fee
- Light Trucks - up to 22" $5.00 fee
- Tire With Rim $5.00 fee
- Any tire in excess of 22" will not be accepted
- Not collected by the City
- Take to place of purchase or call (716) 858-6370 Hazardous Waste Information
- The City does not accept hazardous waste products [oil paints & thinners, car batteries, pesticides, motor oil, antifreeze, etc.]
- Contact (716) 858-6370 for further info – Erie County Hazardous Waste
If you would like to report a complaint or request rodent baiting services, please contact the Erie County Department of Health Rabies, Disease & Vector Control at (716) 961-6800.
Elimination and Prevention of Rats
Erie County ELECTRONIC Recycling through Sunnking for 2021
Please visit: Sunnking.com/Events for a list of dates, times and registration
*It is important that you pre-register prior to the event date*
Registration can be done online or by calling Sunnking at (585) 637-8365
Items acceptable for recycling and/or disposal: Televisons (tube and/or flat screen) - limit of two (2) per vehicle, CPUs [Hard Drive], CRTs or Monitors, Keyboards, Mouse, Printers
*Note: Participants will be required to verify that computers are generated by households. No commercial or industrial waste.
Erie County HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE Collection Dates for 2021
Please CLICK HERE for location information regarding HHW
Saturday, May 8, 2021 - Southtowns (8:00am - 1:00pm)
Residents will be required to pre-register to attend a collection event.
Pre-registration can be done on-line or by phone beginning 30 days prior to each event.
PLEASE NOTE: Specific location and times will be provided at the time of pre-registration, which will be required on-line or by phone beginning 30 days prior to each event. Each collection event is open to all Erie County residents. These events will provide proper disposal of hazardous items that should not be disposed of in the regular garbage at no cost.
Erie County Residential HHW Voucher Program
Erie County is introducing a free voucher program beginning on June 15th. County residents will be able to bring up to 50-lbs. of acceptable household hazardous waste by appointment only to Hazman in Tonawanda, NY. You must call Hazman ahead of time: (716) 998-8073
- Pesticides, Fertilizers, Pool & Household Chemicals / Cleaners
- Oil-Based Paints, Spray Cans
- Gasoline, Kerosene, Antifreeze
- Paint Thinner, Strippers & Solvents
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Mercury - Thermometers, Thermostats
- Small Propane Cylinders (1 lb.)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Latex Paints
- Light Bulbs
- Computers & Electronics
- 20 lb. Propane Tanks
- Smoke Detectors
- Car Batteries
- Motor Oil
- Alkaline Batteries
- Commercial or Industrial Waste
Please contact Hazman for your Recycle and Hazardous Waste disposal
177 Wales Avenue
Tonawanda, NY 14150