City of Tonawanda
Department of Public Works
Superintendent Joseph L. Warthling, Jr.
150 Fillmore Ave., Tonawanda, NY 14150
Phone: (716) 695-1376 Fax: (716) 692-6747
Email: Public Works
The Department of Public Works will provide a safe, clean, and efficient operation that maintains streets, sidewalks, and sewers within the city’s right-of-way. We provide a refuse and recycling operation, react to resident’s inquiries, and respond to all weather-related conditions.
Tonawanda, New York - Code of Ordinances / Chapter 50 - SOLID WASTE
Click Here for the 2019 SEASONAL SUMMER JOB FLYER
Click Here to print a Seasonal Application
Click Here for a returning Seasonal Application
WEEKLY GARBAGE COLLECTION
GARBAGE - Click here for recent Garbage Collection Flyer
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE - Garbage will not be collected on any of the following holidays:
New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day,
Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
Garbage pickup will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week following the holiday.
BULK GARBAGE - Bulk waste material pick-up is limited to quantities of four (4) cubic yards (3'x3'x12') per property, with a maximum of two pick-ups per month.
LATEX PAINT - How to dispose of latex paint
RECYCLING – Recycling Tote pickup calendar (2019-2020)
Your recycling tote will be picked up every other week in accordance with the "Blue" or "Red" designated color for your neighborhood. Please click above to see the calendar for your pick up weeks. If you do not know if you are Blue or Red, click here for color coded street flyer.
Click here for current Recycling Guide
- Plastic bags are not recyclable
- Styrofoam is not recyclable
- Only recycle CLEAN food containers [plates, cups, window glass, toys, aluminum, plastic wrap, pots and pans, oil containers, etc. are not recyclable]
RECYCLE AND GARBAGE TOTES
Totes can be ordered at Tonawanda City Hall (8:30am-4:30pm M-F). The cost is $50.00 per tote. Your tote will be delivered to your home following your next garbage collection.
TIRES - Residents Only
- Tires are not collected at curbside
- Drop off at DPW – 150 Fillmore Ave. Monday - Friday between 7am-3pm
- Passenger Car 13", 14", 15", 16" $1.00 fee
- Light Trucks - up to 22" $5.00 fee
- Tire With Rim $5.00 fee
- Any tire in excess of 22" will not be accepted
- Not collected by the City
- Take to place of purchase or call (716) 858-6370 Hazardous Waste Information
- The City does not accept hazardous waste products [oil paints & thinners, car batteries, pesticides, motor oil, antifreeze, etc.]
- Contact (716) 858-6370 for further info – Erie County Hazardous Waste
If you would like to report a complaint or request rodent baiting services, please contact the Erie County Department of Health Rabies, Disease & Vector Control at (716) 961-6800.
Elimination and Prevention of Rats
Erie County ELECTRONIC Recycling through Sunnking for 2019
JUNE 1, 2019 - GENESEE SOCIAL SERVICE DEPT. from 8am - 11am
5130 E MAIN STREET RD, #3
BATAVIA, NY 14020
JUNE 29, 2019 - SYRACUSE, NY - CANCELLED
JULY 13, 2019 - ERIE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (South Campus) from 9am - 12pm
4041 SOUTHWESTERN BLVD.
ORCHARD PARK, NY 14127
JULY 27, 2019 - APPLE TREE BUSINESS PARK from 9am - 12pm
2875 UNION ROAD #22
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227
AUGUST 10, 2019 - TONAWANDA HIGH SCHOOL from 9am - 12pm
600 FLETCHER STREET
TONAWANDA, NY 14150
Items acceptable for recycling and/or disposal: Televisons (tube and/or flat screen) - limit of two (2) per vehicle, CPUs [Hard Drive], CRTs or Monitors, Keyboards, Mouse, Printers
*Note: Participants will be required to verify that computers are generated by households. No commercial or industrial waste.
Erie County Household HAZARDOUS WASTE Collection Dates for 2019
MAY 11, 2019 - CLARENCE
JUNE 15, 2019 - SUNY ERIE SOUTH (ECC)
AUGUST 10, 2019 - SUNY ERIE NORTH (ECC)
SEPTEMBER 14, 2019 - CONCORD
OCTOBER 5, 2019 - BUFFALO
Residents will be required to pre-register to attend a collection event.
Pre-registration can be made on-line or by phone beginning 30 days prior to each event.
PLEASE NOTE: Specific location and times will be provided at the time of pre-registration, which will be required on-line or by phone beginning 30 days prior to each event. Each collection event is open to all Erie County residents. These events will provide proper disposal of hazardous items that should not be disposed of in the regular garbage at no cost.
- Pesticides, Fertilizers, Pool & Household Chemicals / Cleaners
- Oil-Based Paints, Spray Cans
- Gasoline, Kerosene, Antifreeze
- Paint Thinner, Strippers & Solvents
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Mercury - Thermometers, Thermostats
- Small Propane Cylinders (1 lb.)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Latex Paints
- Light Bulbs
- Computers & Electronics
- 20 lb. Propane Tanks
- Smoke Detectors
- Car Batteries
- Motor Oil
- Alkaline Batteries
- Commercial or Industrial Waste